Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Father And Son

There are a few significant moments in life between father and son. A time when the sage like wisdom of 'Dad' gets passed down to 'Son'. Simeon and I embarked on one such moment just recently. Simeon began his journey towards riding a bike.


Learning how to ride my first bike is one of  the most crystal clear childhood memories in my mind. I remember my red and white bike. I remember the warm Spring air. And I remember my Father holding on to the back of my seat as I took those first few peddles lurching the bike forward. Was I graceful? No. Smooth? Hardly. Confidant? Not really. But soon the wobbles subsided and the bike began to guild along to road, as if driven by a master.

I was doing it.

Of course I didn't know I was doing it. The increased confidence that came with each thrust of the peddle was built on the certainty I felt knowing that my father was holding my bike secure ready to prevent a fall. It was only after I was riding well did my father take a risky move. He had let go of the seat to my bike but stayed out of my view close behind. After a few minutes of this he decided to show me just how well  I was doing by running alongside me. I turned and saw my father to my left jogging. My confidence left me, the certainty of my safety scampered away, replaced with a more certain realization I was in trouble.

I crashed.

Oh well no harm done. By the end of the day I learned to ride my bike.

Now I am the father and my son is the one learning. Granted we are a few steps away from zipping up and down the road on a two wheeler, Simeon is learning to ride a balance bike.

Never the less we have began a journey. The journey of passing fatherly wisdom to ones son. It won't be that far into the future when I will be showing you how to ride a full two wheeler. Then one day it will be advice about girls, teaching you how to shave, and how to drive. We'll figure out your first job, and your first heart break.We'll tackle tough problems, take fun trips and we will try and sort out what it means to grow up to be a man of honour and integrity.

And of course when the going gets tough, when times are uncertain, and the way forward unclear I will lean on the wisdom that I learned and  I will evoke those enchanted words all fathers need to know.......

'Let's go and ask your mother'.

The Start Of The Journey

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...